1 Day Camp
Saturday, October 7, 2023
Join Us for an
Unforgettable Coastal Adventure!
HARKER'S ISLAND, NC
Black Girls Fish &
Black Boys Boat
Date: Saturday, October 7th
Location: Cape Lookout National Seashore, Harkers Island, NC
Ages: Legacy Campers who have participated in our Falls Lake camp
Cost: Covered by our partnership and grant from the National Park Foundation
Are you ready for a day of exploration, fishing, and fun at Cape Lookout National Seashore? This is your chance to experience the beauty of a National Park and learn about saltwater fishing while surrounded by the stunning coastal landscape.
What to Expect
- Adventure Abounds: The day starts early, with a 5:30 AM meeting at a designated Durham location. From there, our chartered shuttle will take you on a journey to Harkers Island, where our coastal adventure begins!
- Scenic Shuttle: Enjoy breakfast on the shuttle ride as you make your way to the coast. Meet fellow campers, soak in the beautiful views, and get ready for an exciting day ahead.
- Explore the National Park: Discover Cape Lookout National Seashore, a breathtaking expanse of pristine coastline and maritime forests. Learn about the lighthouse and the park's unique ecosystem and the important role it plays in conservation. The children will also learn about the history of the Black Watermen: Skilled Boat Captains of Cape Lookout
- Junior Ranger Angler Program: Engage in a fun and educational program designed to introduce you to the world of fishing. Learn about fish species, fishing techniques, and the importance of conservation.
- Stations and More: Participate in interactive stations that delve deeper into fishing, conservation, and the marine environment. Engage with experts, ask questions, and expand your knowledge.
- Shore Fishing: Get your hands on fishing rods and learn the art of shore fishing. Our knowledgeable volunteers will guide you through the process, and you might even catch Spanish mackerel, false albacore, or bluefish!
- Fishing at the "Spit": Take a ferry to the "spit," a prime fishing location at Cape Lookout. Fish in calmer waters and try your luck at catching some incredible species. Feel the thrill of reeling in your very own catch!
- Delicious Meals: We've got your meals covered! Enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner as you refuel for a day of exploration and fishing.
- Expert Volunteers: Our dedicated team of vetted volunteers will be there every step of the way, ensuring your safety and making sure you have an amazing experience.
5:30 AM: Arrive at Durham location (breakfast on shuttle)
6:00 AM: Depart for Harkers Island
9:30 AM: Arrive at Harkers Island
10:45 AM: Ferry to explore Cape Lookout
11:30 AM: Lunch and program
12:00 PM: Stations and fishing
12:40 PM: Ferry to the Island's "Power Squadron Spit"
1:00 PM: Fishing begins
3:00 PM: Wrap up fishing
3:30 PM: Ferry back to Shelter on Cape
4:15 PM: Ferry back to Harkers Island
5:00 PM: Depart for Durham (dinner on shuttle)
8:30 PM: Arrive back in Durham
How to Apply:
Ready to embark on this coastal adventure? Apply now by filling out the application and waivers below. Spaces are limited to 20 campers, so be sure to secure your spot before applications close on Monday, September 4th at 11:59 PM.
We Can't Wait to See You There:
Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to explore Cape Lookout National Seashore, learn about fishing, and create lasting memories with fellow campers. If you have any questions or need more information, feel free to reach out to Erica Quillet at email@example.com.
Get ready for an unforgettable adventure at Cape Lookout National Seashore!
Apply Now Below!
Please note that the camp is exclusively for 20 legacy campers who have participated in our Falls Lake camp.
INTERESTED? REGISTER BELOW.
This program is a 1-day program. The cost for the program has been funded by a grant provided by the National Parks Foundation.
To be eligible for participation, your child must commit being present for the entire event day: Saturday, October 7, 2023.
Space is limited. Applications will close on Monday, September 4, 2023 and selected participants will be notified by Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
If your child is selected you will receive an email confirmation with further instructions and action items to secure their registration.
For questions or volunteer opportunities please contact
Erica Quillet at firstname.lastname@example.org